Maiolica and Porcelaine
Pasquale Antonibon Factory
Nove di Bassano, Venice, 1740 -177
1.85 x 19.21 x 15.27 in
(4,7 X 48,8 X 38,8 cm)
State of conservation: thin passing fêlure with covered chipping and a glued foot
The Antonibon were an important family of Venetian ceramic makers from the late seventeenth to the second half of the eighteenth centuries. They produced some of the most renowned Italian maiolica of the time.
The object is part of the production from the period under the management of Pasquale Antonibon, who between 1750 and 1760 brought the manufacture to its maximum height of grandeur thanks to its first refined experiments with porcelain.
The centerpiece in question is maiolica, with a four-lobed shape resting on eight onion-shaped feet. For specimens of similar form, see G. Ericani, P. Marini, N. Stringa, La ceramica degli Antonibon, Milano 1999, p. 71, n. 54, with different decoration.
The decoration, which is concentrated in the center of the top, made of blue monochromy, shows a bunch of naturalistic flowers among which anemones and tulips are joined by sinuous stems. The meticulous attention to detail and the delicacy in the execution brings this work closer to the highest quality products coming out of the 18th century Venetian manufacture under Pasquale Antonibon. In particular, technical-stylistic affinities are found with the magnificent under-window plate signed “Nove” and dated “1751” which is one of the fundamental documented examples of this production of manufacture, now at the “Giuseppe Roi” Ceramics Museum in Bassano del Grappa.
Cover Photo: Fabrizio Stipari
G. Ericani, P. Marini, N. Stringa, a cura di, La ceramica degli Antonibon, Milano 1999.